Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cuba - Habana Verdadera - 1/7/2017

Sorry, I know I'm late posting these but the Zika is taking it's toll on me.

I'm fairly certain the cough syrup here is just liquid cocaine, it clears out the head in no time and gives me a good kick for the day.  And my hands were shaking enough I couldn't hold a cup of coffee.  But as an experienced and fairly well-recognized pretend doctor, I know that stimulants can throw me into an arrhythmia, and I can't even imagine the horror show that would be them converting me back to sinus rhythm.   And I still have a terrible cough... so I'm thinking I have Vicodin with me, Vicodin is made from codeine, and codeine is used in cough syrup ... therefore, Vicodin should help my cough, with the side benefit that it will offset the boatload of stimulant in the cough syrup.  So that has turned into my cuban Zika remedy, a shot of cough syrup and a vicodin every 6 hours, with an inhaler at breakfast and a xanax at bedtime.  Throw in plenty of Cuban rum and it's actually working pretty well, and I felt fairly good most of today.  I'll worry about rehab once I'm back in the US.

We were up and out of Vinales early, and I think we were in Habana before lunch.  I saved the nicest place for last, so we could finish on a high note; we are staying at some former palace that was now a gov't hotel, but they say their 5 stars are equal to our 3 stars, at a 5 star price.  I was even hoping they might have a pool.

We got there before lunch, thinking we'd hang out at the hotel all day, and were told that check-in wasn't until 4.  The hotel was nice, alot of marble, but not extravagant.  And no pool.

So we walked around Old Havana again, and went back to the places we liked or missed the first time.  Stopped at the Chocolate Factory.  Had a nice lunch at the restaurant on the corner of the Plaza Vieja again.  Nothing crazy, just a nice leisurely stroll around one of the last 5 remaining communist countries in the world.

We went back to the hotel around 2p to see if the room was ready, and of course it wasn't.  Because this was a fancy hotel we actually had internet, though not free, so we sat in the cafe in the lobby and drank mojitos and burned up whatever time was left on our internet cards.  The room was ready around 3p, and it was nice but maybe like retro Country Inn Suites nice.  Definitely not like Hilton nice.  There were two twin beds, I'm sure because we're American, which under normal circumstances would have irritated me.   But I'm trying my hardest not to get Shari sick because she actually has to work next week, so it turns out it was probably for the best.   We (Shari) decided she wanted some last-minute souvenirs, so we went back out again to burn up our last $40.  We opted for dinner from street vendors, and not blow all our money on dinner .... so we could blow all our money on souvenirs....

We were back to the room early, and turns out they had an American TV channel.  So we spent the rest of our last night in Cuba lying in bed, watching Naked and Afraid....

No comments: