Monday, January 2, 2017

Cuba - Habana Vieja - 1/1/2017

Today was a relaxed day, the first day that it felt like an actual vacation.

Our new little casa has a rooftop terrace, and they took us up there for breakfast.   It was typical of what we've had so far; eggs, fruit, and a lot of bread.  They are big on bread here, but it's wonderful.  The last casa liked to cut up hot dogs into fancy pieces but hey, it's still a hot dog at the end of the day.  This place took the liberty of putting ketchup on my eggs, which isn't really the way I would have went had I been asked.  But overall the food has been great.  And don't even get me started on the coffee.   We were joined at breakfast by a couple from Italy and three girls from France.  There was a nice view of the city, and a cool ocean breeze, so I took advantage of that after breakfast to write.

We took a leisurely stroll around town, and stopped at an outdoor hotel cafe for internet.  I somehow had three 'fuerte' beers in no time flat, so we had to get up and walk around some more.  We landed at a fairly nice restaurant around 3, off of the tourist path but not too far.  It was sort of what has become typical... We waited a while to be seated, a while to take our order, a while for drinks, and forever for food.  We saw some people just give up and leave, and Shari noted that we (N Americans) were the last of the ones around us to get our food.   I told her we had a saying in 'Nam that the first time could be an accident, the second time a coincidence, but three times was enemy action.  So after another hour and 3 more beers, we were trying to decide if my Canadian or my English accent was better.  She thinks my Canadian accent sounds like my Wisconsin accent, but I say they're practically the same anyway.  Eh.

We're starting to worry a little about money, we are almost half way through our cash and only a third of the way through the trip.  That's only a problem because there are no US banks here, so there are zero ways to get more money if we run out.  So that could potentially be a sorta big issue.  We are saving our last $50 in case we need to take a boat back to Key West.  Needless to say, we're on a budget for a few days.  And I may not be bringing home cigars.  😣

So after our 3 hour lunch, or dinner as it is now known, we took a different route home and found a whole other cool little part of town.  I know I've said the buildings are kinda decrepit and run down, but it's now occurring to me that this whole area was built in the early 1700's.  Our country didn't even exist yet.  Where buffalo we roaming and all that.  In California, if it was built before 1930 and still standing it was considered "historical."  So everything needs perspective.

We got directions to a little neighborhood bread store, and got a bag of bread and pastries for 2 bucks and change, which we promptly tore into like we lost a bet.  Shari started to feel sick, and I had a day hangover already, so we went back to the casa and laid down at 7.  Of course there is a raging street party outside again, because tomorrow's also a holiday, so I was up again at 8 and wrote this for lack of something else to do.  Shari is still asleep. 

Our first day of 2017.  🍾

No comments: