I had no idea they had actual tropical rainforest in Belize. But they do. Right up there with the Amazon.
Today we had about an hour boat ride to the Monkey River. It is not only a river, there is an actual town there. The guide said there were only about 200 people living there, and he was related to all of them. I paused to ponder the genetics of that statement, but quickly moved on when I remembered one of my potential relatives made just about the exact same statement. He also said they were all Creole, which i thought was interesting. No, I don't know why.
At the very beginning, we saw a whole family of iguanas hanging out in a yard. I don't mean pet store iguanas, they were tropical rainforest iguanas. Like as big as your leg.
Then, in no particular order, we saw a tree with bats on it, a bunch of rainforest birds, and a lot of trees and plants that they use as medicine. For everything from snake bites to bed wetting. Apparently the nearest doctor is 45 minutes away, so they just basically take care of themselves, and have for generations. And oh yeah, a crocodile. They have a lot of crocodiles. The guide said one of the coolest things he ever saw was a crocodile jump straight out of the water, and snatch a Herron out of the air as it flew over the river. Yeah.
Then we started the hike portion of the tour, which was maybe a mile through the rainforest. Pretty early on, we could hear this angry kinda roar, like maybe a small tiger. Turns out it was the monkeys, who make that sound to protect their territory. There was a tour group in front of us, and the guide was smacking the tree with his machete to irritate this whole family of monkeys in the tree. When we got there, they were making plenty of noise. I'll try and put some video on FB. We saw a couple other groups of monkeys during the hike. The guide said they had a hurricane in 2007, and they lost 10% of the monkeys, it literally blew them right out of the trees. Go figure. He also showed us a tree that they use the bark for snake bites. It doesn't cure the snake bite, but you put it on an arm or leg and it cuts off the circulation for 6 hours... Enough time to get you to a snake doctor. Yes, they have those, too.
Then we had lunch back in the town of Monkey River, made by one of the guide's relatives. And served by one of his relatives, who were also related to each other. I know, I need to let that go. Then the boat almost left me again, something which is starting to bother me.
The last portion of the tour we went out and saw manatees, a bunch actually. They are kinda like miniature whales, they come up for air and then dive for 3 or 4 minutes. But we saw quiet a few, or one a bunch of times.
We got back early, and decided to check out the town. We went with another family and they wanted to meet in an hour and a half, which I was thinking was no where near enough time. Turns out we were sitting in a bar less than a half hour later. Which was ok, cause they made watermelon daiquiris with real watermelon.
Then back to the hotel, and I went for a run the other direction that we hadn't seen Apparently that is where are the luxury houses are at, I'm guessing most were 7 figures. That would probably buy you the whole town of Maya Beach.
Jen wanted me to add that pretty much everyone has referred to me as her husband. Which she thinks is creepy, but which I think is totally understandable. ;) Hey, 50 is the new 40.
That's it. Now we're sitting on the porch of our cabana, drinking hot tea and watching the full moon over the ocean.
Full moon = whale sharks. Let's hope...
2 comments:
Ok, I'm all caught up. I love your stories, Mark. It's like I'm right there with you guys. Keep um comin', they make me laugh. Xo
I agree with Cathy's comment
Post a Comment