This will be another short post, it was a travel day and fairly uneventful.
We slept in today, since we didn't have activities, and we went to breakfast late. I should note that there is one thing that I don't like about this place, and that's that we got killed with bug bites. I woke up covered with them today, though we actually never see any bugs, which is kinda creepy. Jen laid at the beach, and I took some farewell pictures of our cabin and the resort. At lunch, about halfway through I decided I should put our bags out before it got too late. I went back to our cabin, and it was full of someone else's stuff. I thought omg, they already moved our stuff out and checked someone else in. I looked around, and sure enough, all our stuff was gone and someone else's stuff was there. I walked outside, and it took a second before I realized I was in the wrong cabin. Seriously? I wish I could say I've never done the same thing with a blue Prius.
Then I went back to finish lunch, and a quarter fell out of my pocket. I leaned over the chair to get it, and the whole side of the chair broke off, almost causing me to face plant. And the owners of the resort were sitting next to us. Awkward.
We were off to the airport around 2, and we arrived an hour early just like in the US. Which was about 50 more minutes than we needed. They gave us our boarding pass, which was basically a drink coaster, and Jen and i were in boarding group "Grey." Coincidently, all 3 other people on our flight were also in boarding group Grey. We boarded in under 5 minutes.
So off to Belize City (BC), our driver had an old beat up Cadillac with no ac, and his 4 year old daughter was with him. Let me preface this with we met a couple at the bar last night from BC, and they couldn't have been more concerned about our safety. The said BC has the third highest crime rate in the world, and they pretty much told us not to leave our hotel. They said they do drive-by shootings here on bikes. Add to that even Lonely Planet said to be cautious and stay away from South of the river. Which is where we are staying. And Jen thought it would be fun to stay in a hostel here. Yeah.
The hostel is actually nice relatively speaking, and it has ac so we feel like we're living large. And we're not sharing the room with anyone. The city does have a menacing feel to it, kind of a cross between Mexico and Jamaica. But Jen and I both like that, neither of us have much fear (you could argue common sense). My biggest concern was having Jen with me. We even asked the guy at the desk if it would be safe, and he said "yeah, probably, it's Good Friday." So apparently against everyone's advice, we took off from the hostel and walked the downtown area. The big downside was that Easter is a huge holiday here, and consequently so is Good Friday, and everything was closed. But the people were colorful and interesting, let's just say that. Even the people begging for money were polite. We ended up buying dried bananas with hot sauce from a street vendor, which was way better than it sounds.
We came back to the hostel, took a break, and then headed out in search of food. In the vacant lot a block away, they had set up about a half dozen little food stands. But they were mostly tacos with meat, so nothing for Jen. There were also tables on the corners where women had a bunch of pots, and they were serving up whole meals of who knows what.
There were a bunch of clubs and restaurants across the river, so we walked over there only to find them closed, too. After walking around some more for awhile, I finally gave a homeless guy a buck and he directed us to the Radisson, which was in fact open. So we went there for dinner and a bunch of drinks, and against even our better judgment we walked back to the hostel instead of opting for a taxi. The streets by then were eerily empty. But once again, the people we did see were friendly. Jen was happy because the dog we had seen on the street going there that we thought was dead, had moved. But not much.
So that's it, so much for being short. Tomorrow we are going to try and see some Mayan ruins before we hop a plane back to the US.
No comments:
Post a Comment