Some days, like some lives, aren't remembered so much as a few big moments, but as a lot of little moments. We had a lot of little moments today.
First, I will note it was a week from hell. I had to be up Tue at 5a to do arrest warrants, Wed at 5a to fly to DC, Thu at 8a to teach (effectively 5a pst though), and Fri at 8a to fly to Houston (same). So by today, when I had to get up at 5:30a cst, I was getting a little sleep deprived (and cranky).
Surprisingly, things went pretty smooth at the airport. I had no idea what you could take through security these days, since I always get a free pass, but Jen told me I apparently illegally smuggled several 7 oz bottles of liquids and a 12 oz container of lotion. Fortunately no one noticed, the TSA being ever-vigilant. I did see several young women getting a full body scan, though, so i know they are taking this seriously. Then at the gate, I was in the last group to board, and this b*tch attendant asks the woman in front of me as she is BOARDING if she's flying with her husband. Cause otherwise she needed a notarized letter from him to travel with her teenage son. Someone might have thought to mention that to her sooner. They pulled this poor woman from the plane, and i think a few others, then we all had to sit for an hour while they tried to find their luggage and off-load it.
When we got to Belize International Airport, it was like you mixed Mexico and Hawaii with Jamaica. Oddly unsettling, there's a picture on Facebook. Jen ordered a coffee drink from the stand, and another guy picked it up accidently and drank it. He returned it to the girl behind the counter and apologized, but the girl just handed it to jen and said no problem. Jen is of course a trooper and has seen far worse, but still. I mean of course she still drank it, we're not gonna waste coffee.
Then our plane got there, and it seriously sat 8 people. I could have flown it. A passenger actually sat in the copilot seat. So. Jealous. I'm totally flying that thing when we go back.
We got to the resort, and it is very quant and reminds me of a Corona commercial. We went to a bar next door for happy hour, and it was full of people. We realized after a bit we were the only tourists and they were all expats, turns out there are a bunch here. People come on vacation and just never leave. So I guess they all know each other and meet at this bar on Saturdays, and there is another bar they all go to on Sundays. Of course we're going.
Back to our resort for dinner, and during dinner a frog the size of a small dog hopped through the dining room. Photo op.
Then we walked to another bar after we ate, and turns out the whole group of expats went there, too. Go figure.
Tomorrow, another early day, we are going diving. We decided to make it an easy night tonight and get some sleep, we're both tired. So that's that.
No comments:
Post a Comment