Thursday, April 17, 2014

Belize - 04/17/2014

The post today is going to be short,  our day was fairly uneventful. 

We said goodbye to our friends from N Carolina this morning,  though we've agreed to buy a lot here together so I'm sure we'll stay in touch...

All the dive boats were full to see the whale sharks,  so we were out of luck.   Though I think still no whale sharks to be seen today.   Instead,  our hotel manager basically hired us our own private sail boat.

So that is what we did,  we went sailing.   The captain was kinda quirky,  a Canadian expat.  He was a little like John Lithgow, if he had been living on a boat for 6 years with a little fat dachshund.  Cap'n Paul brought his local girl and her niece,  and we were one big happy family for the day.   Jen and I are convinced he left Canada in a hurry,  if you know what I mean.

So we sailed out for about 3 hours,  and moored at this little Island and had lunch.   Cap'n Paul was a good cook,  jerk chicken and whole wheat pasta with red sauce.   And a deluxe salad.   Then we headed to this sand bar to snorkel.   About the only funny thing that happened today is that he had the boat on auto pilot, and he was fishing off the back of the boat and talking to us as we cruised along at maybe 15 knots.   All the sudden his girlfriend yells,  and the sand bar/Island is right in front of us and only about a hundred yards away.   We were about 10 seconds away from Cap'n Paul running us into the dirt.  Probably a really bad thing,  but it would have made for a way better story.

Jen and I snorkeled around the reef for awhile and took a bunch of pictures,  then we sailed for about 3 hours back.  That was our day, very leisurely.   We listened to my entire Jack Johnson collection,  and I think I took 3 naps on the boat.

We had some drinks and appetizers in our bar,  then went to the restaurant next door for pizza.  Now it is 8:30 and we're sitting on our porch. 

That's it,  our last night in Placentia.   :/

No comments: