Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 10 - Fri - Erdos

Today was fairly uneventful. We drove from the yurt to Erdos, which is desert. As in completely sand desert. With camels. Now I am not completely sure, but I don't think that particular desert came with camels, but they are nonetheless there to haul tourists around. Which they did. So we had maybe 2 hours of wandering in the desert, then did a cool sled thing down one of the dunes. They had a huge lunch with a recreation of a Mongolian wedding, but let's just say it didn't translate well.

I should also note the class system is still quite evident in China, in all the nice restaurants the driver and guides are not allowed to eat with me.
So I sit there by myself like a big goof, and they bring like 6 plates of food that I barely make a dent in. And because I have a personal guide and am not in a group, they assume I am a vip and I always get the best table and service. Or so my guides tell me.

We were back to Erdos by 6, and my tour guides dumped me at the hotel, no doubt in fear they would have to drink with me and the driver again. All for the best, though, I am falling way behind in rem sleep.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude! Best photos ever! And that's no ANY desert you are in-- it's part of the Gobi desert. And I'm thinking those camels have been there awhile. How do you think Ghengis Khan's people got around?!?