Today was a 2 hour drive and then a 1 hour hike to look down a valley. But having said that, it was awesome. One of those once-in-a-lifetime views. Actually, the guide said you should come at least 4 times, because the view is different with each season. Breakfast was as close to American as I have found, and lunch included rice that was grilled in a 2" round bamboo stick. Very cool. It rained for the 1 mile climb up, but that was for the best because it wasn't hot. Then it got sunny and hot for the trip down, so the best of both worlds. Good karma for not losing my temper yesterday.
So no drama today, a nice end to this adventure.
I did forget one thing from Tibet; the Sky Burial. Apparently when someone dies, they cut the body into pieces and leave it in a field. If you were a good person, the white birds will come and eat you. If you were mediocre, and the birds don't come, they will spread some butter on the pieces to hasten your destiny. If you were bad, the black birds eat you. I guess the birds are supposed to carry you to the heavens, and "crap you on the mountain top so you can stay for eternity." This isn't old school stuff, this is what they do now. I'm thinking this field where they take the bodies has all the makings of a good horror movie.
And so my adventure is quickly coming to an end.
I don't want to be paranoid, but my Blackberry, which I used to send prior posts, has gone dark. Nothing in or out. I had to retype this on my netbook. I'll be happy when I am on that last plane.
Charlie owns the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment