I had an American breakfast, which would only be accurate if America was in China. They have an odd custom here of drinking just hot water, which I guess is no different than cold water but something I am still not used to. Don't even get me started on the hole in the ground toilets.
We then spent the day at the Genghis Khan museum, where the Chinese largely skimmed over the murder, rape, and pillage portion of the presentation. The whole Mongol culture is fairly fascinating, however, and is definitely distinct from China.
So on the several hour drive back, as we are cruising down the freeway, a 2' iron pipe comes off of this black SUV and hits us square on. It sounded like we got hit with a shotgun. Cars are expensive here, so now my driver has a big dent in his hood and a broken windshield. And he goes off the meter. Having survived the first brush with death, we proceeded on a high speed pursuit of the black SUV. Let me remind you that all drivers involved are ASIAN! We were doing 160 kph, whatever that is, down the shoulder, in the opposite lane, you name it. At one point he is down the shoulder with a truck on our left and there is a guy on a bike that I was sure was gonna get splashed. He finally catches up, does a felony vehicle stop-in traffic-cutting them off in front. Turns out they are all Communist Party Officials. Now the only thing the Chinese hate worse than foreigners are other Chinese, and my driver and the other driver are ready to jump off. My driver is old school and could give a crap less who they are, and he climbs up their ass and opens an umbrella. All I am thinking is if it jumps off I am going to have to help my driver, and you guys will be reading tomorrows update in the paper. My poor little guide is wound up into a knot, and is calling the head office and talking like the car is on fire. After about 15 minutes of this, the driver finally returns to the car. I think the head office called him and convinced him it was not going to be a happy ending. But at least it made for a good story.
So that was it, a nice farewell dinner with my guides and driver, who were all very cool. Btw, someone needs to tell my wife we might be getting a new housekeeper soon.
Sorry, no pictures today, I am traveling so no internet....
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
No comments:
Post a Comment