Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 7 - Tue - Beijing

Today was a crazy day, but unfortunately no good stories and I am dead exhausted so this will be short.

We started at 8:00 am, and I decided to just skip breakfast entirely.  I figured hungry couldn't be any worse than sick and at least I'd be losing weight.  We went to, in no particular order - Tian'anmen Square, Summer Palace, Mao's tomb, Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden City, and the Helitang pearl store.  The day finished with roasted duck at some world-famous place, and I just got back to the room at 8::30 pm.  The duck was a bit greasy but otherwise actually really good. 

My only real impression is that some of these places have been around a few centuries, and it seems unfortunate that me and and thousands of other idiots are free to trample all over them with little in the way of restrictions.  I also note that for all intents and purposes, Tian'anmen Square is known for being a landmark around here and nothing else.

Unfortunately, my camera died before lunch so I didn't have many pictures to choose from.  My little tour boy took pictures all day, though, and will bring them to me tomorrow.

1 comment:

vandemom2 said...

you are aware that nothing happened at T square, right? that was all western propaganda ....well, unless you were a relative of someone who was actually there.