Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 16 - Thu, 6/18/09 - Beijing

This will be quick, I found internet at a cafe at the airport. I am on my way back to the US today.

Call me paranoid, but I read an article this week about how Chinese hackers are the best in the world. They have taken down the White House website twice, and Taiwanese govt more times than you can count. They are rock stars here, and apparently the prc encourages it and allows them to police the internet and email filters on their behalf. So when my email goes dark the day after my blog from Lhasa, I am thinking Charlie is danger close. I got to Beijing and my phone is still dead, and it worked here a week ago. So I was alittle nervous going through security that someone might want to have a chat with me. But needless to say, I am sitting at the gate.

Second issue is I read the Beijing airport was shut down for 6 hours yesterday by a summer storm. Guess what is happening right now? A summer storm. It is the middle of the day and it looks light night. Visibility is a half mile or less. But if they fly the way they drive, it should be no factor.

Needless to say, if there are no new posts after 6a pst, the plane left with hopefully me on it.

No comments: